Anything is possible when young James Trotter discovers a magical escape from his dreary life with aunts Spiker and Sponge. A chance encounter with a magical stranger, a bag filled with mysterious crocodile tongues, and an unexpected accident lead to the creation of the largest peach the world has ever seen! After climbing aboard the giant fruit, James finds himself surrounded by a rag-tag group of friendly insects: Centipede, Spider, Earthworm, Grasshopper, and Ladybug. Adventure awaits the unlikely crew as James captains the peach across the Atlantic; flying, floating, and rolling away from a life of loneliness and isolation into to a brighter, more hopeful future.
James and the Giant Peach, a “fantasy adventure for children” by master storyteller Roald Dahl, was originally published in 1961. Dahl’s first-ever novel for children, the book enjoyed wild popularity and was made into a animated film by Disney in 1996. This fall, NWCT will open our 2013-14 Season of Plays with a theatrical adaptation which, dramatized by playwright Richard R. George with direct input from the author, retains the original story’s richness of character and is perfect for children ages 5 and up.
What to Know Before the Show:
- James and the Giant Peach runs September 28th – October 27th
- Performances are on Saturday & Sunday, at Noon & 4pm
- Our heroes are a crew of giant bugs, led by a young boy named James
- They were brought to life in part by puppet-costumes created by award-winning designer John Ellingson
- Stick around after the show to meet your favorite characters and the actors who play them. They are happy to take photos, sign programs, and dispense high fives!
- The performance runs 90 minutes, including a 15 minute intermission
- Our beautiful, historic home is located in NW Portland, so allow for extra time to park
- This Family Four pass works for any performance, excluding our closing weekend (10/26 & 10/27)
- For the young performer sitting next to you: NWCT holds open auditions for all of our Mainstage productions and Second Stage programs every spring.
- NWCT also offers year-round theater education for ages 4 ½ – 18.
Experience Roald Dahl’s first “adventure for children” as it is brought to life on the NWCT Mainstage at 1819 NW Everett Street. These tickets are good for any weekend performance of James and the Giant Peach, excluding closing weekend. This contest is exclusively for PDX Kids Calendar readers. Details to enter below.